Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Honey-Bee Cake / Zebra Cake

The actual name is zebra cake but mine turned out looking more like honey bee so that's what I named it. This is a very simple and light cake. The recipe was from:

http://bakingbites.com/2008/07/zebra-cake/

Zebra Cake
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk (low fat is fine)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder

Mine didn't turn out as good-looking as the zebra but I like the taste. I created too much air bubble while scooping the vanilla and chocolate batter alternately. It's fine, in general. Half of the cake is already gone :)

I followed the recipe except that I eliminated the almond extract (since I do not have it) and increased the cocoa powder from 2 1/2 tablespoon to 4 tablespoon.

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform cake pan with parchment paper.
2. Slightly beat 4 large eggs in a bowl.
3. Add 1 cup granulated sugar to the eggs. Beat until light and creamy.
4. Add 1 cup milk, 1 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil) and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix well.
5. Sift in 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix until incorporated.
6. Measure out 2 cups of vanilla batter and sift in 2 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder (I suggest measure out 3-4 cups since my vanilla batter was way more than my chocolate batter. That was why I increased the cocoa powder; I had to scoop out more vanilla batter in the end and added another 1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder).
7. Scoop one spoonful of vanilla batter into the center of the cake pan (I used a ladle that can hold approximately 3 tablespoons liquid).
8. After the vanilla batter spreads out, scoop one spoonful of chocolate batter into the center of the vanilla batter. Use a ladle that is same in size.
9. Alternately scoop the vanilla and chocolate batter until they are used up.
10. Bake 38-42 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.



My cake was still moist in the very center. It came out puffed up but sunk during cooling that's why I couldn't detect the moist part when I checked with a toothpick. I actually baked it for 45 minutes but the center was still moist. I will have to look into this problem.




Note: Good recipe, just not sure why the cake was still very moist in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment