Sunday, May 17, 2020

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

It all started with some browning bananas.



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
  • FROSTING:
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in bananas.
  • 2. Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool.
  • 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve desired consistency. Frost bars. Store in the refrigerator.



I halved the recipe and used one 6-inch cake pan. I also reduced the sugar from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup. And kept the baking soda at 1 teaspoon instead of halving it with the rest of the ingredients. The cake came out pillowy soft and fluffy. Maybe I should have reduced the sugar in the frosting too. The bananas and frosting made it way too sweet for me. The cake by itself would have been fine, I guess. I added some lemon juice to the frosting, too bad it was not strong enough to counteract the sweetness.










I cut the cake into 1-inch layer since I had lots of frosting. I think it looks like hummingbird cake minus the pecans. I will make this again but without the frosting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment