Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cream Cheese Brownies

I wanted to make some finger food that can be easily transported without causing a mess and can be enjoyed without any utensils. The recipe I used was adapted from Martha Stewart:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/cream-cheese-brownies?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/brownie-and-blondie-recipes#slide_7

  • 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, room-temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs

I followed the recipe almost to the dot except that I used 1 cup sugar instead of 1 1/4 cup since I do not like too sweet. I also used 6 oz of semi sweet chocolate instead of 8oz because that was the only chocolate I had left. I also baked the brownies in 8-inch square baking pan instead of 9-inch since that was the only one I have.

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease 8-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper, both on the bottom and the sides (I cut a square for the bottom and cut long strips that can be wrapped around the inner lining of the baking pan).
3. In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4. On a double boiler, heat up 1 stick unsalted butter and 6 oz semisweet chocolate until smooth (~3 minutes). Remove from heat and pour into a large heatproof bowl.
5. Add 1 cup granulated sugar into the butter-chocolate mixture. Mix to combine.
6. Add 3 eggs into the butter-chocolate-sugar mixture. Mix to combine.
7. Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Mix until just combined (Do not overmix).
8. In another bowl, whisk together 4 oz cream cheese and 2 tablespoon butter. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg and 2 tablespoon all purpose flour. Mix well.
9. Alternately spoon chocolate mixture and cream cheese mixture into the baking pan, leaving approximately 2 scoops of cream cheese mixture while scooping the rest of the chocolate mixture into the baking pan, creating a dark surface.
10. Scoop the remaining cream cheese mixture into the baking pan in 3 different spots. Using a knife, create random swirls on the surface.
11. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
12. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes then transfer to rack and cool completely before cutting.

The swirls did not come out so well. I guess I should have swirled them more delicately.


I lined the top and bottom with the cream cheese mixture. The brownies are cake-like but more dense and moist. Yummy..


Note: I ran out of unsalted butter so I used regular butter. For every 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, use 1/2 cup (1 stick) of regular (salted) butter and decrease salt in the recipe by 1/4 teaspoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment