Saturday, January 1, 2011

Very First Baking Attempt (Errmm.. how do you turn on an oven?)

After a couple hours researching on baking muffins, I found out that the main ingredients are: all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, egg, butter, vanilla extract. I did not have baking soda and could not find a substitute to I just omit that ingredient. I also came to realize that the ratios of the main ingredients are approximately as follow:

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
half cup sugar
some salt
1 egg
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

This approximation was gathered from all the recipes that I browsed online for 2 hours. I was eager to find out if this will work so I just used everything except that I reduced the sugar to a quarter cup and added about half a cup of chocolate chips and 2 bananas. I beat the egg, sugar, butter, vanilla extract and mashed bananas til mixed, then pour batter into flour, baking powder, salt mixture and gently fold the dry ingredients over the wet, then threw in the chocolate chips. Batter was scooped into sprayed muffin pan about 3/4 full, giving 6 muffins, then baked for 22 mins at 350F, or until the top turned golden brown. The muffins did not rise but they are edible! I was more than happy! I did not take any pictures, unfortunately, or it will be a really funny picture. But both my bf and I tried them and we both think it's not bad for a first time baker :) The bananas smell really good and the sweetness is just right.

Notes: I wanted to make the muffins more fluffy. Maybe use more baking powder?

No comments:

Post a Comment