Monday, January 3, 2011

Portugese Egg Tart

I am a huge fan of egg tarts, especially Portuguese egg tarts. I was googling for an easy and decent recipe and came across this site

http://rasamalaysia.com/portuguese-egg-tarts/

I did slight modification to the recipe: I used light brown sugar instead of sugar, and heavy cream instead of whipping cream. I also cut the recipe in half in case my first egg tart batch fails.

1/2 box of Betty Crocker Pie Crust Mix
1.5 tablespoons melted butter
1/6 cup cold water*
=> Mix into a dough. On a floured surface, roll the dough and cut into 6 balls.

2 egg yolks
1/6 cup light brown sugar*
1/6 cup heavy cream*
1/6 cup milk*
2 drops vanilla extract
=> Beat using an electronic hand beater and strain.

For ingredients marked with *, it is difficult to measure 1/6 of a cup so I just used approximation but make sure the ingredients are of equal volume.

Dough cut into balls were pressed into muffin pan sprayed with Pam, forming a crust similar to an egg tart. This was time consuming and it was not easy to get the same shape for all 6 crusts. The beaten and strained egg mixture (wet ingredients) was poured into the crusts one by one, until about 3/4 full.

Egg tarts were baked in preheated oven at 400F for 20 minutes.

The crust was crunchy and flaky while the filling was golden brown moist and smells so good. The sweetness is also just right. This recipe is a success and I enjoyed every bite of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment