Friday, January 14, 2011

Japanese Cheesecake - F.A.I.L

I wanted to make Malay steamed cake at first, but since it does not involve baking, I just chose something to bake. I wanted something soft, fluffy, spongy, light... Japanese Cheesecake! I found this recipe and the feedback is awesome.

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/2312/Recipe.cfm

I halved the recipe in case it does not work out. One stupid thing I did was not halving the milk. I just poured it in and go 'Oops'. And continued on because I had no more cream cheese. Also, my skills with egg whites is still in training. I did not whisk until foamy or until soft peak forms, I sorta missed that part out. And, I first baked at 300F for 1 hour then 30 minutes at 325F.

In the end, what I got was a superdense cheesecake.

I was already a little skeptical when I took it out of the oven. Many reviews mentioned cracked cake top when they took it out. Why is mine not cracked?

I let it cool on the kitchen top and came back to a dense cheesecake 10 minutes later. It sank a little. Taste rich and cheesy. They can go with whipped cream or wine :)

I know it's a failed product but I don't want to throw it away, of course. It is edible, just not spongy and fluffy. So this is what I did:

Yea, I turned them into finger food.

Note: Do not miss out any point on the recipe. I searched for images of whisked egg white with soft peaks and I hope I will get that next time. I should also pre-measure everything before I start (that was how I accidentally poured in 1/2 cup of milk instead of 1/4).

2 comments:

  1. happened to me too... the taste was good.. but half was like the texture it was supposed to be and the bottom half.. flat like custard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is caused by the egg whites not whisked well enough. I gave this recipe a few more tries and it finally worked after I figure out what egg white soft peaks are.

    ReplyDelete