Friday, January 28, 2011

Rum Raisin Shortbread Cookies

I've always wanted to make something that has rum raisin in it because a few people around me loves this combination. The recipe I used was from:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/rum-raisin-shortbread

Ingredients


Ingredient Checklist

Directions


Instructions Checklist
  • Combine rum and currants; cover, and let stand at room temperature overnight. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons rum.
  • Beat butter, sugar, and orange zest with a mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and reserved rum, and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, coconut, and salt, and beat for 3 minutes. Stir in currants by hand.
  • Form dough into 2 logs, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap in parchment, and refrigerate 1 hour (or up to 3 days).
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove parchment. Slice logs into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and space about 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake until pale golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool.


I did not have real rum so I used rum extract to soak the raisins overnight (1/2 cup water + 2 teaspoon rum extract). I also used raisins instead of currants since I have plenty of raisins. I also omitted the coconut since I did not have coconut.

I increased the baking time from 20 minutes to 25 minutes. The cookies came out soft even though they look burned enough on the bottom. They were also out of shape; looked nothing like the picture on website. This recipe did not work out for me.

Note: For every 1/4 cup rum, substitute with 1 teaspoon rum extract in 1/4 cup water.

No comments:

Post a Comment