Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Scones

I always wondered what a scone is (Yes I never had a scone before). For some reason I just never buy it. I thought of seeing the lemon blueberry scone at Starbucks so I tried searching for its recipe but I do not have baking soda at home so I used this recipe instead:

http://bakingbites.com/2010/04/lemon-blueberry-scones/

Lemon Blueberry Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, chilled
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup frozen blueberries

I followed the recipe to the dot.

1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Whisk together 2 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3. Cut 6 tablespoon butter into 6 chunks.
4. Rub butter into flour. Keep coating flour on butter while breaking the butter until mixture is sandy. This took about 5 minutes. The final mixture was grainy.
5. Add 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon zest until dough comes together (in one piece).
6. Knead the dough in the mixing bowl for about a minute.
7. Flatten the dough and sprinkle 1 cup of frozen blueberries on top.
8. Knead gently for 30-60 seconds to distribute the blueberries.
9. Cut the dough in half.
10. Press each dough on a sprayed baking sheet to approximately 3/4 inch thick.
11. Divide each flat dough into quarters.
12. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.
13. For the glaze, mix 1/2 cup superfine sugar with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon milk.
14. Drizzle glaze over scones while they are hot out of the oven.

The texture is soft and crumbly. The lemon and blueberry combination is awesome; blueberries are sour and the citrus-y sweet flavor of lemon counteracts that just right. Perfect flavor.

Please pardon my huge bite mark. I couldn't resist!


Note: Excellent recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment