Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Golden Butter Cookies (Galettes Bretonnes)

Just as much as I wanted to find the perfect basic muffin recipe, I am also very eager to find the basic cookie recipe, and even though I do not know how to pronounce the name of these cookies, there is something about them that is very attractive, maybe the simplicity of the recipe..

http://www.justhungry.com/galettes-bretonnes-golden-butter-cookies-brittany

  • 250g / 8.8 oz / about 2 U.S. cups all purpose or cake flour (cake flour preferred)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 120g / 4 oz / 1/2 cup minus 2 Tbs. sugar
  • 120g / 4 oz / 1/2 cup / 1 stick salted butter, softened
  • 1 'large' egg, plus 1 egg for glazing
  • 1-2 Tbs. milk if needed
  • Large pinch of good quality coarse sea salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
I followed the recipe to the dot except that I chilled the cookie dough for 2 hours and I do not have a cookie cutter so I just rolled each cookie dough up and flatten them on the baking sheet one by one.

1. Mix and sieve 2 cups cake flour and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
2. Mix 1 stick melted butter, 1/2 cup minus 2 tablespoon granulated sugar and a pinch of sea salt in another bowl.
3. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and rub the butter well into the flour.
4. Add in 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix well. The dough should come together, forming a cohesive ball. Add 1 to 2 tablespoon milk if the dough did not come together.
5. Roll the dough up with cling wrap and chill for at least 1 hour, to firm it up.
6. Preheat oven to 350F.
7. Flour work surface and roll the dough with a rolling pin until ~3mm thick.
8. Cut the dough into shapes and place on lined baking sheet.
9. Press down center of cookie with tines of a fork to prevent cookies from puffing up in the center.
10. Beat an egg, add a few drops of milk and brush each cookie top with it.
11. Bake for 10 minutes then rotate baking sheet and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.

I baked the cookies in 2 batches since I only have 1 baking sheet. The first batch was the plain batch and I added some almond slices on the second batch since I was craving almonds :)


Note: Great recipe. I have found my basic cookie recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment